So, I sold a (slightly) haunted house

Debi

Owner/Admin
Staff
Reaction score
A bit of history is necessary here. I owned two houses that sit side by side....with about an acre between them but they still share one driveway. When we became owners 6 years ago of the second house, the original owner was known to have some severe mental health issues. She boldly stated that, "You may own that house now, but it's still MINE! I will never leave it and when I die, I will refuse to cross over. I'm staying with that house!" She died the next day.

When we moved in, activity immediately started. Knocking, things moving, shadows, etc. The dogs would bristle up and bark at an empty corner about halfway up the wall. Lights would turn on and off and the activity was a bit much. So, I cleansed the house, used holy water and pushed her towards the light. Had to do this about once or twice a year for the first 3 years there and then things settled down. Then 2 years ago, our renter's son committed suicide behind our house and things started up again. Took a time or two of cleansing again and all was quiet for the next 2 years. I truly felt all was well and whatever spirits or entities that had been there had now moved on.

So, sold that house in January and moved back to original home. Since then, we've had no contact with the new owners other than the casual wave. No discussions of the home's history, no talks at all. They've been very busy doing a full renovation of the home...new paint, walls down, etc.

So, last Thursday was our first contact with them. They came down to invite us to see what they'd done with the place. As we were walking to their house, new owner wife says, "Oh, by the way. We've met the ghosts in the house. Who's the older woman and who's the young man?"

I stopped dead in my tracks. These people had NO CLUE and were not LOOKING FOR any spirits running around their new home. We live way out in the middle of nowhere, there are no other neighbors, and I have never mentioned this activity to anyone else, other than on this forum and they don't know I'm on here. These people moved here from Reno, and this is Indiana. I suspect the renovations may have undone what I done did.

Our new member, Steve, posed the theory yesterday that people who believe in spirit activity are probably more prone to find it simply because they are looking for it. I must repeat....there is no way these people had even an inkling that this had been an issue, nor did they have any reason to have knowledge of specifics as to older woman and younger male. So, I pose this question: Other than actually seeing what they've seen, how else would they possibly know? Also, would you buy a (slightly) haunted home if the spirits appeared benign?

Last edited:
A bit of history is necessary here. I owned two houses that sit side by side....with about an acre between them but they still share one driveway. When we became owners 6 years ago of the second house, the original owner was known to have some severe mental health issues. She boldly stated that, "You may own that house now, but it's still MINE! I will never leave it and when I die, I will refuse to cross over. I'm staying with that house!" She died the next day.

When we moved in, activity immediately started. Knocking, things moving, shadows, etc. The dogs would bristle up and bark at an empty corner about halfway up the wall. Lights would turn on and off and the activity was a bit much. So, I cleansed the house, used holy water and pushed her towards the light. Had to do this about once or twice a year for the first 3 years there and then things settled down. Then 2 years ago, our renter's son committed suicide behind our house and things started up again. Took a time or two of cleansing again and all was quiet for the next 2 years. I truly felt all was well and whatever spirits or entities that had been there had now moved on.

So, sold that house in January and moved back to original home. Since then, we've had no contact with the new owners other than the casual wave. No discussions of the home's history, no talks at all. They've been very busy doing a full renovation of the home...new paint, walls down, etc.

So, last Thursday was our first contact with them. They came down to invite us to see what they'd done with the place. As we were walking to their house, new owner wife says, "Oh, by the way. We've met the ghosts in the house. Who's the older woman and who's the young man?"

I stopped dead in my tracks. These people had NO CLUE and were not LOOKING FOR any spirits running around their new home. We live way out in the middle of nowhere, there are no other neighbors, and I have never mentioned this activity to anyone else, other than on this forum and they don't know I'm on here. These people moved here from Reno, and this is Indiana. I suspect the renovations may have undone what I done did.

Our new member, Steve, posed the theory yesterday that people who believe in spirit activity are probably more prone to find it simply because they are looking for it. I must repeat....there is no way these people had even an inkling that this had been an issue, nor did they have any reason to have knowledge of specifics as to older woman and younger male. So, I pose this question: Other than actually seeing what they've seen, how else would they possibly know?

Research of area using local media could be a possible and plausible explanation . It is unusual for entity's to fully reveal themselves when they have the ability to move objects to let their presence be known though this type of entity usually has an agenda . Other entity's can live in harmony within a structure and pose no threat to the occupants as long as the occupants respect and accept them .

It is very unusual for one to return after cleansing , to have both return is remarkable and one can say their " will " is more powerful than the cleansing rites and incantations previously applied . Is it possible this dwelling is situated on a powerful "ley line , " allowing both of them to return via this pathway ?

Yikes! That's what I was going to ask you. How did they know? Also, if the lady and the young man had crossed into the light, why would they be back? Did you do some kind of binding to keep them here, but just away from the house? I feel so bad for that old lady and the guy. Isn't there anything we could do for them? Would a prayer help?

Do you know who Gary Spivey is? I love him and he is constantly on The Dave Ryan show. He is good at sending earthbound spirits into the light. That is, unless he's a fake and a good actor. I hope not.

Did the new people in the house actually see the 2 spirits, or hear them? Are they psychic?

Last edited:
Well, in answer to Dog's question, yes, the house sits on Native American land that has always had a little something going on. I happen to be from the same tribal affiliation, so thought perhaps that could have stirred things up a bit over the time we lived there. We were always finding arrowheads, axeheads, etc. in the yard. We did have it researched and the Lenape were quite active by this creek...so we also had water flow right there as well.

What I did find out about the couple is that her daughter had been murdered. She appears to not be upset by her new boarders, and I'm thinking she's wide open to the other side. She's given them permission to stay and has welcomed them. Right now, the only one I worry about is the old lady spirit...she's behaving at the moment but knowing how she was in life I hope she doesn't decide she doesn't like something they do. She can be a problem. The young man I'm pretty sure just comes and goes, more of a visitor than a resident. As long as she gives them permission to be there, they'll most likely stay.

Sometimes cleansing simply suppresses the activity in a house, especially in the cases of very determined earthbound ones as in the case of the older lady. Since I was related to her, that also probably added an element. I never felt she crossed over....just shut her up a bit, so to speak. Renovations often open things back up again, as well.

Reactions: Laura
So sad to hear her daughter had been murdered . I find it delightful they have given permission to the old Lady to remain and as you say the young Man is merely a visitor . Interesting neighbors you have Debi , not the type to run out screaming at mach 2 with their hair on fire at seeing a ghost !!! If possible it would be nice to hear updates on the old Lady to see if she becomes cantankerous again .

You were related to the old Lady , is the old Lady Native American ?

Our new member, Steve, posed the theory yesterday that people who believe in spirit activity are probably more prone to find it simply because they are looking for it. I must repeat....there is no way these people had even an inkling that this had been an issue, nor did they have any reason to have knowledge of specifics as to older woman and younger male. So, I pose this question: Other than actually seeing what they've seen, how else would they possibly know? Also, would you buy a (slightly) haunted home if the spirits appeared benign?

I hear stories like this from time to time, which pass my skepticism, because I believe it too random for anyone to have the time and energy to just fabricate and make up. I'm still unsure what it means though and as much as I believe some of these experiences really have happened people - I still have contradictory thoughts as to how it happens.

I understand though, what you say about these people having no clue, or no way of knowing that an older woman and a young man died at the premises. I guess it is a little too difficult to say it was a good guess or a coincidence.

Say - do you guys in the US know of a UK television magician called Derren Brown? He isn't really a magician. He doesn't really do tricks or illusions etc. He works more with human psychology - so because of that, he is one of the few of his kind I can tolerate to watch. Anyway, he did an episode about the whole ghost thing. He gathered a group of people to an old derelict college building or something (you may be able to find this show online). He told them a story about how a cult mass suicide took place at this location. He showed them photos of each of the members who killed themselves in the building they were gathered and explained to them in detail, the story. They'd all went down to the basement and drank a concoction of bleach in a ritual. Anyway, Derren had taken them here at night time and then split them all up, and placed each one alone in separate rooms where each cult member killed themselves. He then spoke to them via ear pieces and gave them a panic button. He did various things to raise tension and summons any spirit activity.

Most of the people involved in the experiment felt movement, something touching, pushing, breathing on them, changes in temperature, hearing voices, experiencing contact that corresponded with the pictures of the cult members. Most panic buttons were pressed and they freaked out and needed taken out of there.

Turns out, everyone in the photographs were alive and well, the story was entirely fictional, and the building was relatively new with no historic past. It didn't make a fool of these people, in my mind. It proved the power of the human mind.

Anyway, this is a very long winded way of getting to my story lol. I live in rural Ireland. Middle of no where. On a farm surrounded by acres of open land. My house has apparently been here for perhaps 200 years. Before my grandparents lived here, their relatives lived here. My father was born here and it was a bit of a shack back then. When he was about my age (30), he renovated it because of his marriage to my mother, and my birth. I was born in 1984. We moved in a few years later. My grandparents were still alive so they lived in a smaller apartment at one side of the larger renovated house. Their apartment was in part of the old building.

When I was little, my parents would sometimes go away for a night on vacation, and I would stay with my grandparents in their apartment, at the side of the house. I remember being convinced the room was haunted. I'd lay there in this old spare room, surrounded by pictures and painting of old relatives. I'd lie dead still in bed, the clothes sticking to me with sweat, fear and panic until the early hours of the morning. I'd be trembling with fear. I'd stare hard at curtains and convince my self they are moving. I used to go down the hall way and sit outside my grandparents bed room as they slept to be close to them because I was scared, but too afraid to wake them and tell them so. As I lay there, I'd listen down the hall towards the room I was staying in. I'd hear DEFINITE thuds, bumps and on one occasion a very loudly audible dragging sound. I'd be so insanely terrified to make my way back down into the room to try to go back to sleep.

To this day, I know I heard those noises. That is not made up.

My grandfather lived long, and only passed last December. I have spent since that time renovating his apartment, next door to my parents house. Myself and my girlfriend of 7 years now live here. I think we've lived here for about 6 months now. Because the house is completely mordernised, I forget its the same building at all. Its crazy for me to think that as I type this, I am sitting in that very room I was terrified of - but its now our living room, and its 1:30am, and my grandfather who recently passed away lived here, and there is no sign of paranormal activity in the slightest. The thought hasnt even crossed my mind.

Thats not to say I am completely debunking this as all psychological - don't get me wrong. I told you before in my previous posts that I am extremely reliant on scientifically backed up thinking - but that I think science could develop to such an extent in the future, that it may make paranormal theories completely and totally plausible and explainable and prove them to be true and real.

My point being, I don't know if it is psychologically 'made up'. Maybe if such supernatural activity exists, it enters a willing and accepting mind to manifest itself within. A lot of people who completely dismiss ghosts will never experience them. Yet, a lot of people who accept evil with open arms with claim to be possessed.

I'm not sure where its psychological, and where it may be something real that is being granted access.

As for stories like you said, where these people had literally no idea at all and knew it was an elderly woman and a young man, that really is fascinating. I wonder how they already felt about the idea of ghosts? Since they seemed to ask you the question in such a nonchalant manner, it would suggest they too had open minds and willingness to accept and believe in the reality of these things before they knew of the premises history. I wonder how much that has to play in it if anything?

Again, I'm just typing as I am thinking, so I am sorry for the rant or the amount of times I may have contradicted myself.

I loved reading this story though - its provided food for thought as always. Thanks for sharing!
Steve.