Your favorite...

Debi

Owner/Admin
Staff
Reaction score
What's your favorite old horror movie?
And why that one?

images.jpeg

Wow! That's like asking my favorite whiskey! There are so many to choose from and they are all worthy of the title. I guess it also depends on how you define "old". Something like "The Ring" came out 22 years ago but requires the audience to know about VHS tapes and landlines phones.

My all time favorite horror film is John Carpenters The Thing. It's got the fantastic visual effects and gore, but it's also deeply disturbing on a psychological level the way it handles isolation and distrust.

Going back further in time I'm a big fan of the Universal Monsters. I love the original King Kong for the stop motion work. The Blob pretty much created the template for teen horror movies; teens getting into mischief, discover a creature/slasher/killer, try to alert authorities but aren't believed, crazy plan to handle it themselves. The Night of the Living Dead created the zombie genre.

If I had to choose just one from this early era I think I'd go with "Them!". Nuclear testing in New Mexico creates giant ants. It sounds exactly like what you'd expect the cliche Friday night drive in movie to be in the 1950s. However, those cliches exist because this film did it first. It also did it better, Them! won an Academy Award for best visual effects.

Wow! That's like asking my favorite whiskey! There are so many to choose from and they are all worthy of the title. I guess it also depends on how you define "old". Something like "The Ring" came out 22 years ago but requires the audience to know about VHS tapes and landlines phones.

My all time favorite horror film is John Carpenters The Thing. It's got the fantastic visual effects and gore, but it's also deeply disturbing on a psychological level the way it handles isolation and distrust.

Going back further in time I'm a big fan of the Universal Monsters. I love the original King Kong for the stop motion work. The Blob pretty much created the template for teen horror movies; teens getting into mischief, discover a creature/slasher/killer, try to alert authorities but aren't believed, crazy plan to handle it themselves. The Night of the Living Dead created the zombie genre.

If I had to choose just one from this early era I think I'd go with "Them!". Nuclear testing in New Mexico creates giant ants. It sounds exactly like what you'd expect the cliche Friday night drive in movie to be in the 1950s. However, those cliches exist because this film did it first. It also did it better, Them! won an Academy Award for best visual effects.
I agree, "Them!" would be my one film. The cast was really impressive for such a movie, although many of the actors (James Arness, Fess Parker, Leonard Nimoy, Richard Deacon, etc.) would not become household names for a few more years. I specifically remember seeing it for the first time (I was probably 7-8) and thinking how cool it would be to use Thompson submachine guns and flamethrowers to kill big ass ants.

I agree, "Them!" would be my one film. The cast was really impressive for such a movie, although many of the actors (James Arness, Fess Parker, Leonard Nimoy, Richard Deacon, etc.) would not become household names for a few more years. I specifically remember seeing it for the first time (I was probably 7-8) and thinking how cool it would be to use Thompson submachine guns and flamethrowers to kill big ass ants.
I was around the same age when I first saw it and had pretty much the same thought. Shortly afterwards I found an ant hill outside and spent some time staring at it and imagining myself with a squad of troops fighting our way down the hole and hunting for the queen.

About 5 years ago a corner of my yard was invaded by a red ant hole. My wife asked if I knew a good way to get rid of them and my very first thought was going down into the tunnels (somehow) with a flame thrower.