The real life Vampire

Debi

Owner/Admin
Staff
Reaction score
Inside the human blood-drinking, ‘real vampire’ community of New Orleans

John Edgar Browning met his first “real vampire” in a Gothic apparel store.

A doctoral candidate at Louisiana State University at the time, Browning had already been on the hunt for several months. He was talking to the store owner of Wicked Orleans, a Gothic-style clothing and leather shop in New Orleans’s French Quarter, when a middle-aged woman and two teenage boys walked through the door.

The store owner stopped mid-sentence. This woman, he motioned, was one of the people Browning was looking for.

Nervously, Browning approached her and started talking to her about his ethnographic study of “real vampires.” To be clear, these aren’t people who possess the supernatural powers that we associate with the likes of Count Dracula, but rather individuals who claim to have a medical condition that requires them to drink blood (human or animal) in order to sustain themselves.

Members of this community have chosen to identify themselves as “vampires” in defiance of the negative images that the label evokes. Did she know anyone who fit that description?

The woman smiled, and Browning had his answer — her open lips revealed teeth that had been filed to a point, like fangs.

Open site for the whole story. Quite interesting!

I have unfortunately met someone who was a 'vampire'. I wasn't so much turned off by the fact he chose this lifestyle, as I was to his negative energy. He claimed to be proficient in many things paranormal and would always ask my sister for room at her store to teach classes. Get your yucky vibes away, and stay in your coffin.

Inside the human blood-drinking, ‘real vampire’ community of New Orleans

John Edgar Browning met his first “real vampire” in a Gothic apparel store.

A doctoral candidate at Louisiana State University at the time, Browning had already been on the hunt for several months. He was talking to the store owner of Wicked Orleans, a Gothic-style clothing and leather shop in New Orleans’s French Quarter, when a middle-aged woman and two teenage boys walked through the door.

The store owner stopped mid-sentence. This woman, he motioned, was one of the people Browning was looking for.

Nervously, Browning approached her and started talking to her about his ethnographic study of “real vampires.” To be clear, these aren’t people who possess the supernatural powers that we associate with the likes of Count Dracula, but rather individuals who claim to have a medical condition that requires them to drink blood (human or animal) in order to sustain themselves.

Members of this community have chosen to identify themselves as “vampires” in defiance of the negative images that the label evokes. Did she know anyone who fit that description?

The woman smiled, and Browning had his answer — her open lips revealed teeth that had been filed to a point, like fangs.

Open site for the whole story. Quite interesting!
These twits who file their teeth and claim a need for human blood are attempting to draw attention to themselves to fill a psychotic need for attention. They are pathetic and warrant zero further discussion.

After reading the article and Debs homework, I still tend to believe that if there were no movies made about the subject ,there would be very few loonies like this . And yes, I do know that stories of vampires predate all movies made.I just think that most of these think its "cool"and they like the dark feel of it ,and they do it for the attention that they love to get whether they admit it or not .

Reactions: Debi
After reading the article and Debs homework, I still tend to believe that if there were no movies made about the subject ,there would be very few loonies like this . And yes, I do know that stories of vampires predate all movies made.I just think that most of these think its "cool"and they like the dark feel of it ,and they do it for the attention that they love to get whether they admit it or not .
I do agree, Grinch. I just think the medical part is probably the start of the legend itself. I'm always looking for that kernal of truth within the lore.

Reactions: Grinchesbro
I do agree, Grinch. I just think the medical part is probably the start of the legend itself. I'm always looking for that kernal of truth within the lore.
And so you know ,I don't intend to portray them all in the same light .I actually think there are some out there who would actually kill someone to fulfill their lust for blood .;) I am now sharpening wood stakes in between posts

Reactions: Debi
And so you know ,I don't intend to portray them all in the same light .I actually think there are some out there who would actually kill someone to fulfill their lust for blood .;) I am now sharpening wood stakes in between posts
:D