Is everything alive?

Debi

Owner/Admin
Staff
Reaction score
The idea that everything from spoons to stones are conscious is gaining academic credibility

The idea that everything from spoons to stones are conscious is gaining academic credibility

Consciousness permeates reality. Rather than being just a unique feature of human subjective experience, it’s the foundation of the universe, present in every particle and all physical matter.

This sounds like easily-dismissible bunkum, but as traditional attempts to explain consciousness continue to fail, the “panpsychist” view is increasingly being taken seriously by credible philosophers, neuroscientists, and physicists, including figures such as neuroscientist Christof Koch and physicist Roger Penrose.

“Why should we think common sense is a good guide to what the universe is like?” says Philip Goff, a philosophy professor at Central European University in Budapest, Hungary. “Einstein tells us weird things about the nature of time that counters common sense; quantum mechanics runs counter to common sense. Our intuitive reaction isn’t necessarily a good guide to the nature of reality.”

David Chalmers, a philosophy of mind professor at New York University, laid out the “hard problem of consciousness” in 1995, demonstrating that there was still no answer to the question of what causes consciousness. Traditionally, two dominant perspectives, materialism and dualism, have provided a framework for solving this problem. Both lead to seemingly intractable complications.

Full story at site

So those pieces of wood that I screw together have an awareness and feelings ? Nah, don't buy it. That grass that I walk on that feels so good to my bare feet in the Spring gets hurt when I wAlk on it. Nope. I am selfish enough to believe that some things, many things were put on earth for the convenience of mankind.

Last edited:
I would think the answer depends on which side of the fence you stand as far as whether you believe atoms are alive...., if you believe atoms are "alive", then all things are "alive", if you believe atoms don't meet the definition of life, then no.

Last edited:
Hmmm....I tend to believe ALL LIVING things are alive and have an awareness. Trees, grass, animals, plants, flowers etc... Don't believe dead things do, ie. wood planks, metal, nails etc....

Just my thinking...

I tend to believe ALL LIVING things are alive and have an awareness.
I agree that living things have an awareness. Plants and trees grow towards light. Trees in a forest communicate to build a defense when attacked by insects. Is this awareness biological or is there a consciousness in these living things ?

To me, consciousness implies a brain and thinking and planning which is more than a biological response.

I agree that living things have an awareness. Plants and trees grow towards light. Trees in a forest communicate to build a defense when attacked by insects. Is this awareness biological or is there a consciousness in these living things ?

To me, consciousness implies a brain and thinking and planning which is more than a biological response.

I think it is more than a biological response. For example, plants will respond to a caring, human voice. I believe all living things will respond as well. Much more than biological reactions going on here imho....

Reactions: Paulm and 7Critter
I believe living things have various degrees of awareness. Inanament things like rocks, logs, man made objects etc are not. However their molecular structure may be interactive with our consciousness. Intention and faith can effect our environment. The double slit expiroment that shows intention and awareness effects outcome.

Reactions: Paintman and Paulm
I'm gonna change up the language here a bit. :) Everything is energy. Everything is connected. Energy "reacts" to other energy. Think two magnets...they "react" and affect each other but do not have conscious awarness of it. We can give and receive energy to and from anything.

Another analogy I'll make here is the stored energy of a residual haunting. It's energy, but not aware. Just a repeat of the energy pattern.

Yes, we're all connected to everything by energy, but the level of awareness and perception of it varies with level of consciousness, imo.

I'm gonna change up the language here a bit. :) Everything is energy. Everything is connected. Energy "reacts" to other energy. Think two magnets...they "react" and affect each other but do not have conscious awarness of it. We can give and receive energy to and from anything.

Another analogy I'll make here is the stored energy of a residual haunting. It's energy, but not aware. Just a repeat of the energy pattern.

Yes, we're all connected to everything by energy, but the level of awareness and perception of it varies with level of consciousness, imo.
Clapping ! Yay! Well said !!!

Reactions: Paintman and Debi