The Expanse

This would be good meditation background music.

Reactions: Selectric
Selectric brought up a good point. Other good Space shows are out there. Yes Star Wars and Star Trek are the base line, however this one I enjoyed greatly and have watched a few times over ;) :D

The Expanse is a fantastic show!

I kinda think of it as Low Sci-Fi. Just like there is High Fantasy and Low Fantasy depending on where the story sits on the scale of Impossibly Fantastic Magic and Grounded In Reality. There is some Sci-Fi where "technology" can do everything anyone needs at any time provided it's needed for the story, like the Sci-Fi version of "a Wizard did it". Then there is The Expanse which despite showing future technology that we can't fully understand as boring and common place, it's also given clear limitations and capabilities that take real world physics, thermodynamics and other fields of science into account.

I also appreciated how from the very first episode it felt like these were real people who had a history with each other so it jumped right into the story. There wasn't a lot of setup exposition where someone had to specifically introduce every main character by name and state their job/title. Likewise there wasn't the usual "As you know..." or "Need I remind you..." dialogue where one character has to explain stuff that every other character already knows.

As an example, here's a clip that showcases some excellent world building.

There is no verbal explanation of the stations layout, how the life support works or that it's gravity is lower than Earth's. But looking at the subway car map, how the kids are rolling a ball instead of kicking or throwing, how the bird flies; all give you visual cues to the technology. Even the disparity in living quarters and the existence of the Belter Language and hand gestures is present without needing to have a character specifically explain or translate.

To me, this style of world building is much more satisfying. Especially when I figure something out several episodes later and can go back to rewatch the earlier episodes and notice the additional clues I missed.

The Expanse is a fantastic show!

I kinda think of it as Low Sci-Fi. Just like there is High Fantasy and Low Fantasy depending on where the story sits on the scale of Impossibly Fantastic Magic and Grounded In Reality. There is some Sci-Fi where "technology" can do everything anyone needs at any time provided it's needed for the story, like the Sci-Fi version of "a Wizard did it". Then there is The Expanse which despite showing future technology that we can't fully understand as boring and common place, it's also given clear limitations and capabilities that take real world physics, thermodynamics and other fields of science into account.

I also appreciated how from the very first episode it felt like these were real people who had a history with each other so it jumped right into the story. There wasn't a lot of setup exposition where someone had to specifically introduce every main character by name and state their job/title. Likewise there wasn't the usual "As you know..." or "Need I remind you..." dialogue where one character has to explain stuff that every other character already knows.

As an example, here's a clip that showcases some excellent world building.

There is no verbal explanation of the stations layout, how the life support works or that it's gravity is lower than Earth's. But looking at the subway car map, how the kids are rolling a ball instead of kicking or throwing, how the bird flies; all give you visual cues to the technology. Even the disparity in living quarters and the existence of the Belter Language and hand gestures is present without needing to have a character specifically explain or translate.

To me, this style of world building is much more satisfying. Especially when I figure something out several episodes later and can go back to rewatch the earlier episodes and notice the additional clues I missed.
I thought it was a more plausible future regarding space travel. The story line was awesome :D

I thought it was a more plausible future regarding space travel. The story line was awesome :D
I loved The Expanse. I have three of the books that i have not finished reading. I watched the entire series and was rather shocked the first book was followed closely by the series. Pretty cool reading the book and knowing the faces of the characters puts a different perspective on it.

• Big Grin
Reactions: Ragnar0711